Friday, July 24, 2009

Playground is up!!



Well, most of the playground is up at least. The “Neutron Spinner” is a huge hit, we are definitely testing the strength of the thing. I don’t think there was a moment after we put the top on there that it saw any less than 15 children at a time. They love it. I decided that I wanted to have at least the swings and the spinner up and running by Friday noon so that they could play with them as we go to Bujugali falls tomorrow. These playground pics are from today. I spent most of the day in the attics of the orphan homes wiring lights. If you think that it is hot in your attic, you are probably right, its hot. These places have metal roofs and it is SUPER muggy. You start pouring sweat about 2 minutes after you go up in those things. Id say that the temp was around 115 degrees F up there. I got 2 orphan homes done with the help of Eric, Kellie, Bob, and Tiffany G. We were divided up into teams, and got to tackle different homes simultaneously. After I got that one house done, I really enjoyed just watching all the kids go crazy with all the new playground equipment. Its quite a step up from kicking around a filthy wadded and taped piece of paper as a soccer ball in the dirt. (although they still do it.) It was really just amazing to see the joy on their faces as they played. I got to take it in for a solid 15 minutes and just smile at the whole thing. Thanks to Playcraft Direct for the awesome equipment.

Yesterday we had a translator appreciation evening. We invited them over to the Ridar (Hotel) for a fun evening of swimming and BBQ. We ended up dancing after the BBQ also. It was a ton of fun. This is me sneaking into a picture that they were posing for… I had a really good time with them. They don’t really know how to swim all that well, but we had fun in the shallow end just goofing off together. They Ugandan BBQ is amazing. If I could describe the flavor; mmm… Heaven in your mouth? Yeah, that sounds about right to me. I am a steak guy for sure, and they have just the right amount of char, juice, deliciousness.. yeah.

Bob and I were chatting while taking a 15 minute break today. We noticed a few kids that were sitting over near us watching us talk. We decided to teach them how to say “hasta la vista baby.” It is pretty cute to hear their little voices saying it. They will pretty much say anything you want them to say. And they all say it. Their voices are so soft and sweet. And their laughs are unforgettable.

Pastor George and Mike left for India today. They are going into some pretty dangerous areas where Christians are persecuted pretty regularly. They need your prayer. My roomies are in bed for the night, so I better get off this thing so I can get some rest for Bujugali Falls. !!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a blast! I am glad you are the guy crawling arround in the attic. The beard is looking solid!

Anonymous said...

Adam, What an amazing blog site you have...Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful experiences with us. It is truly amazing to see all the happiness and thankfulness that is occurring over there. God Bless you and your team of missionaries. Love you, Sara

Kristi Douglas said...

Adam, so glad to hear things are going well! You're in our prayers and I hope things continue to go smoothly! Have you had a chance to connect with Nico? If you do would you please tell him we love him. I feel so bad, I forgot to give you some presents for him, but we'll send them later. Things are good here, it's hot like 108 today, it's crazy! We miss you, tell Nico hi from us! Love Kristi, Neal and Hudson

JAC said...

Adam, Connor and I lift you up in prayer every night, which is morning your time. So you're waking up to our prayers everyday. It's great to see how God is working through your work in Uganda.

Blessings,

Jeff and Connor Caton

Dave Proehl said...

Hey Adam,

Enjoyed looking at your blog today! Team made it back safe and sound - and I'm starting the hunt for my gear. Who did you send it home with?

Can't wait to get you back here - but know you are doing very crticial work there. Stay well - know you are missed. Praying for you today!

Dave Proehl