Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 1 Africa


Well, we made it to Uganda. We actually did it with only 1 bag missing, and 1 person missing.....
.....actually one person forgot that we were leaving on Tuesday. he thought Wednesday was the 14th, so he ended up getting his flight changed to the 16th or so. Not bad for the bags though. The picture is of a mid travel stretch by the girls. Don't have any of me available quite yet, but I'm workin on it.

Spent the majority of the day at the orphanage, we got up around 7:15, had a wonderful breakfast of french toast, these fiber biscuit thingies, the most amazing pineapple in the world, and a little instant coffee, and then we loaded on the bus and headed to the orphanage. I took a video of the 15 minute voyage to the village to do a time lapse later on, and when we got close to the village, the children that were there gave us a little welcoming party with some little dances that they had been practicing for 3 months they said. I got it all on tape. Then they took us unto the church that we built from year one, and sang some songs and did some synchronized dancing for us. An African children's choir is so amazing. they can really belt it out there.. got it all on tape of course.

We actually are trying to get a hold of some people that we met while we were travelling that are actually very influential when it comes to tariffs and importing containers. We have found out that the container is being held very near the village and the Ugandan Government is wanting to collect tariffs amounting to 12 thousand dollars in order to free it. That is just not something that we have in the mission budget. If you want to read more about all this, please see the Ukids.org website, I believe Mark Gosvener has posted a few words as well. I will try to get some rad shots tomorrow to upload. I am using a friends laptop, and I was able to buy an hour of Internet for $3 dollars, so I should be able to do this for a while. at least until I go to the Orphanage for the 5 week period.

One thing that I want to mention is how good it was to see my little girls. they are so sweet. Florence is shy as always, but I got a hug out of her, and Joan just ran straight to me and gave me the hug of a lifetime. Joan gets out of class at 5:00, so I didn't get to see her much, but I want to walk home a little later tomorrow so that I can see her more. Those kids are amazing. Hope all is well. I am going to go and play a little card game with the team!!! God Bless!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Adam,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you all arrived safely. Hope things work out with the container. Nothing like a little governmental red tape to screw things up. Keep the info coming. You and Birdie continue to be in our prayers