Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bibles and Flavored Water


I had a conversation with Francis the other day when I walked near his room, looking for a tool. At first he wasn't there, but there were two men in his room; pastors from a local church. I casually introduced myself and acted as if I were too busy to get into a conversation. I find that many people refer to themselves as pastors, so typically I just categorize the pastor title in with every other first name. Speaking with Francis a short while after, he told me that they are pastors for the church he attends. He wanted to formally introduce me, and so in meeting them for a second round, they asked if I was interested in coming to their church. I told them I would come this sunday, so today being sunday, Francis and I teamed up on our 3rd world bikes and rode to church. It was held in a small classroom at one of the colleges in the area. College means High School in Uganda. There was no speakers, no instruments, only singing and clapping, and very little dancing. I was actually very comfortable being there. After the sermon, the “Bishop” of the church told me about the church’s history. It has been around since the war was going on. They have grown into several small groups that meet on sunday throughout the city of Lira. I asked him what his church’s greatest need was, and he said Bibles...  Go figure. They said that a Luo Bible is about 18,000 UGS ($7) and the English bible is between 25,000 UGS and 50,000 UGS ($10-$20). They told me that they prefer the NIV. So I thought I would ask and see if someone back home wanted to sponsor some bibles to purchase here, or round a bunch of bibles back home and  give them to Bruce Douglas to put on the container. 
I gave Mum Lydia a packet of flavor powder that you put in a water bottle water yesterday, she was telling me about how she was “feeling pressure in her stomach in the evening after she had had the flavored water, and that it was not staying in my stomach;  it wanted to come out of my stomach. When there is pressure and it comes up and it make sounds.” She said, “it was so nice, the flavor was there even long after I drink the bottle.” I laughed and all I could think of was the Costco dogs back home, how the flavor stays with you throughout the day. 

I have now bathed twice here at the orphanage. I feel like I get about 75% clean. I dont even mess with my feet, because I am standing in water that remains from the last person to wash in the stall..  There is definitely a draining problem. I would love to install a pipe that would actually drain. Their whole bathroom structure is simply, not useful. The only thing that it does is provide a little privacy. The first time I bathed, I used a bucket and a cup, but this time I moved to a 3 Liter plastic jug. I think the cup and bucket is easier. after I finish my ballet, trying to keep anything from touching the ground, I go over to the pump house to give my feet a wash and complete the process. Then it is off to brush my teeth, and hop into my bed, quickly lifting the mosquito net and sneaking under, wiping all the dirt from the bottom of my feet, then tucking the net under the mattress. 

No comments: