Saturday, June 18, 2011

Again, i am in Uganda

Wednesday June 15th

This day started early. I had the pleasure to help drive some Somalian refugees to the airport who were moving to Texas to flee persecution that they were experiencing here because of their Muslim faith. I don't say pleasure because I have anything against Muslim people, I say pleasure because they are beautiful people and Jesus loves them too. They had to be at the airport around 6, so I got up and took it like a man. =) I am sad to see them move to Texas, but I think Jenni Lechelt did an amazing job at reflecting Christ to them through her service and devotion and prayer. I finished with the Airport, then headed back home to do some last minute emails, my last blog entry, do the final touches on my bags, then off to the Church to join up with the rest of the team and head out on the bus to Seattle. We managed to pull out of the church parking lot around 10:30AM if I remember correctly. We had so many bags that we had to pack a few in the cabin with us. It was Uganda in America. We stopped once so that we could get some food and go to the bathroom, but other than that we made amazing time I'd say. Got to the Airport, and I met up with my Aunt Tori and another wonderful couple from their church in Bellevue. They donated 200 dresses and were going to pay the fees for the extra bags. It was so nice to introduce them to some of the team. God actually blessed us with not having to pay for our second bags, and then they let us have the 3rd bag for free as well... HUGE blessing; saved us about 6000 dollars. Checked the bags in straight to Uganda, and then went in through security, and eventually got on the plane. It was a miserable 9 hour flight to London, but I will spare you the miserable details. We had a solid 12 hours to blow in London. As we touched down it was really wet, so right then and there I decided I didn't need to go and see London. I have seen it before, and it would really be the same sights as then, so I opted to stay in the airport and try to get a little sleep... well, just so happens that every seat in the airport is designed to be seat and not a bed. The all have nice akward armrests in between the seats, and when you find one that doesnt, its right next to an air register that is freezing... I eventually found a bench that believe it or not was PADDED!! the only problem was that it was in the shape of an S.... so I made the spoon position and did what I could with what I had. That is pretty much crucial for a missionary's line of work. I slept a few hours, and then it was just another waiting game for the next flight. It was right about then when I realized that I didnt bring any spare Contact Lenses on the trip. so I have the one pair that I am wearing till late September. Hope I dont get any Pink Eye!!! you can be praying for that. =) Ok, next Flight...


Friday June 17th

Yeah, a day passed somewhere in there.. lost in travel. The flight from London to Entebbe, Uganda; amazing. One of the better flights that I have had believe it or not. I went from one of the worst to one of the best. The food wasn't too bad, I was all the way up in row 10, that is the row right behind the first class section (I didn't see business class.. I don't know..). All I know is that my seat had a little foot rest that popped up like a lazyboy that enhanced my flight experience by about 7. I was actually able to get a good hour of sleep on that flight which probably did more for me than the 2 hours that I wrestled on that stinking spooning bench in London. I watched Harry Potter 7, I finished reading the book "Radical" by David Platt, I made a nice entry in my Journal that Shawn Strannigan made me, and I got good time to pray. When we finally landed, we were all really excited. I stepped out the door and just like I remember; the temperature went up a solid 15 degrees or so, and your skin turns into contact cement. Nice and humid. We got all of our bags off the baggage carousel, and took them out to the parking lot where we reunited with Robert (Bus Driver). We got the small truck for our bags this year, and we just barely squeaked by. On the way to the Hotel, there was a bag that was about to go. just holding on by pretty much nothing. We got that taken care of, and loaded back up and back on the road. Drove through Kampala, saw some good traffic. I forgot that some of these big trucks here pipe the exhaust right out the side of the truck so it just gasses people as it drives by. All our windows are open of course because we are weak Americans and need air-conditioning if it gets warmer than 75, and heat if it gets below 70. Yeah, I got gassed a few times, but the carbon monoxide doesn't quite have enough time to get all your brain cells. We are all a little ..strange, though. =) Finally arrived at the Ridar Hotel! And in record time too!! the London layover really did us in.. it only took us 38 hours, 41 minutes, and 37 seconds to get from the door of Abundant Life Church to the door of the Ridar. Yes, I timed it. the rest of that day gets a little hazy, but it went something like; Got my bags and went to bed. I was OUT. Too bad the day wasn't over and I had to wake up in an hour and go to the orphanage since it was only about 2:00PM. I can tell you one of the most draining things when you are already drained is going and smiling and laughing and clapping and dancing. I was excited to see everyone, so it wasn't too hard to get going again. We all loaded back on the bus and headed over to the orphanage. It was another amazing reunion. Palm branches, singing, dancing, smiles, laughter, HUGE hugs.. Both Joan and Florence gave me the running start hugs that end in me almost falling over. That happens to me a lot, but not usually with little girls. I saw so many of the looks
that become blushing turning away smiles when you make eye contact. The kids are so sweet.. So sweet. This is the ONLY picture I have actually taken so far. I get a big fat F in the picture taking department right now, but I promise I can do better next time. I wanted to get a glimpse of what it looks like from in the bus when we pull up. We only spent about 3 hours there with the kids then came back to the hotel for dinner and went to bed. This time I went to bed at 8PM, and got a rather solid sleep of around 9 hours. When I woke up, however, my eyes were still a little bloodshot. I forced my only pair of contacts back into my eyes and got to start another day. and that was Today!!!


Saturday, June 18th

They just let us sleep in. whenever we wake up is when we needed to wake up. That is what Dr. Bruce said he wanted us to do, so that's what I did. =) Adam Gosvener and I woke up to the Mosque prayers that are broadcast at 6 in the morning, but I think they are beautiful. They would be so much more beautiful if they glorified Christ, but in this world that is what it is. Ill let you in on a little secret, someday they will! Every knee will bow and tongue confess.. that's what it says!! There was an optional bus going to the orphanage. I had to go, I don't come all the way over here to show love to the swimming pool or the internet cafe here at the Ridar if you know what I mean. Every chance I have, I have got to get to that orphanage. they wait too long for us to come back to hold any time away from them. I had breakfast, did my devotional, and hopped on the bus to the orphanage. I had to check the container for some things that I left last year in the container that I knew I would need this year. and then it was all playing and goofing off with the kids. We had to come back at 3:30PM, and then Robert and I went into Kampala to update our cell phones. I decided that this year I should probably just buy a phone and give the Ukids phone back. so now I have a phone. my number is 256784567477 and I think you put a + in the front of it, so if someone just had to get a hold of me with Skype (Its really cheap!!) they totally could. Just do me a huge favor and dont call me between 12PM and 9PM (your time) that is in the middle of my hard earned slumber. although if someone were to call me with a wake up.. a good time to call would be 8:30PM your time. Speaking of Slumber, I need to go and do that. But before I do I have a few more things to say. Rory Neidert's memorial service was today. Please just keep praying for his family. I have had them on my heart since last Wednesday around 6:00pm. My heart breaks for them. We tried to watch the service live from here, but the internet connection isn't very accommodating for streaming. I Love you Neiderts. Talk to you soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you guys arrived safety. I left a message on FB for you. Also, if you want to follow us, go to dennisquick.com. Can't wait to see you!! DQ