Sunday, June 23, 2013

Back in Uganda


Friday, June 21, 10:00am Rome Airport

Rome Airport Terminal 2 hours before boarding

Just got off the flight, I had a marvelous time flying from Portland to Denver, Denver to Charlotte, Charlotte to Rome. I sat next to some real fun people on the Denver to Charlotte flight, and ended up talking for the whole 3 hours. The trans-Atlantic flight was a wash for me. It didn't seem to take that long, but I kept dozing in and out at 15 minute intervals; it’s what usually happens to me on flights leaving me exhausted. Fortunately, when I got into the Rome airport, I was told that I might get to check into a VIP Lounge and pass some time. This of course turned out to be false, because Ethiopian Airlines does not have a VIP Lounge for their passengers, at least in Rome. There was a place to check in my bags downstairs, they say, “you can go into Rome and find a cheap hotel to rest.” For some reason that just doesn't sound that great. If I were with someone else, I would probably be more inclined to do something like that, however, the comfort of the metal airport terminal seat is going to be it for me. I’m going to try and sit here for 12 hours before I can check in to my next flight. I don’t have wifi or a power outlet, so I am going to be reading a book and dozing I imagine.

Sunday, June 23, 5:00pm Turner’s Residence


Last night Darrie and I watched a movie to try and keep me awake. I typically do not fall asleep during movies however, my neck was experiencing some considerable whiplash from the head bobbing. 
Touched down in Ethiopia
The morning started with a nice serenade of birds chirping. This has got to be one of my favorite things in this world; hearing the morning noises of the various places that I wake up. 
Later we sat down for a nice breakfast and tea. Debbie Turner has always amazed me with her cooking. We finished breakfast with a devotional. 
We attended church at Kampala Baptist Church. I found that the service was very pleasant. The day was slated as a children’s message, so the worship was largely led by children, and message was mostly for children. I couldn't help but notice something that was said by one of the speakers about how “Orphanages are bad.” She said, “Show me in the bible where it talks about orphanages, they are institutions and are not what God had intended.” Coming and working at orphanages here in Uganda, I couldn't help but be a bit offended by what she said, even though I agree that it is not what God intended, there IS a need for them. And no, not all orphanages are good, but they are not all bad either. I would much rather keep all the children in their orphanages than wish they were all shut down so that this woman could see how much of a need there is for them. I am sure that if I had a conversation with her about it, we would be on the same page. It is unfortunate that orphanages have to exist. If every family functioned as God preferred, it would eliminate the need for that “institution” and the lady speaking would be satisfied. While I wait for Jesus to come back and for the New Heaven and Earth to be here, Ill just go and do some work at orphanages and care for the orphans. I hope that I don’t offend her by doing that
Children's service at Kampala Baptist Church
We went to a nice restaurant called Sam’s after church. Darrie says that he likes to take Debbie out every sunday after church. I had a nice plate of pork chops and actually met with 3 other missionaries that are in the area. A family from church came to their house in the evening. The Turners have a great place for a family, so they really enjoy having families come out where they can let the children run and play. I spent part of the evening running and sliding on the floor in socks. The two boys kept telling me, “Come slide, Come slide!” 
I made contact with Robert, our driver, and let him know I was in country. I will meet up with him on Tuesday when we both go to the airport to pick up the rest of the team. Their flight gets in around 11:30~ish, so please be praying for safe travel for the rest of the team.



No comments: