Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Market



..From Sunday 8/7/11

Church was very comfortable. I have never gotten to recline in a nice plush couch during a service. 
This is one of the pictures he used.
We had a few people attend; I literally mean 2 people attended. Maybe it throws people for a loop when you tell them that church services will be held in our apartment for the next few weeks. Then they decide not to go, or maybe there just isn't anyone in Florence. Church is the people, not the building. We had a nice time. Dennis told me that even my pictures are a form of worship and asked if he could use them for our little service. He set them as the backdrop of lyrics for worship songs. It felt really good to have something I have done be used to glorify my God.


Tuesday 8/9/11

Just down the street from our apartment.
We went to the Open market today. I didn't pack my camera, but I had taken this picture of a small shop in one of the streets near our apartment and totally stole the picture below from someone else's website. We didn't go to the small shop, we went to the big one below. We were in search of more “Bomba” it is a kind of paste that is made with peppers, tomatoes, and oil. It is to die for; we put it on almost everything... Except yogurt; I can't imagine what that would taste like. I needed to go to find shorts. I left most all of my shorts in Uganda. I took only one pair. I also brought a pair of jeans – don't ask me why.!? The weather here has not really been catering to anything that covers legs. I think 90% of the time I don't wear a shirt either. So, when you have one pair of shorts, it makes it hard to do washing... I would have to walk around for a day in my underwear to let them dry. (Not saying I haven't done that, but it would be nice not to have to.) 
Open market only on tuesdays. 5 minute bike ride away.
I got up early and went out into the living room so that they didn't get out of the apartment without me. We rode the bikes and locked them up while we walked the really long market. I have to say I am not very good at shopping, but I did enjoy some of the things that I tried on. I am not the average 6' that the rest of my brothers and cousins are, so I usually have to hem most things that I buy. The shorts that I have been wearing come down a little below my knees which makes me hot too. Whether I am at home, riding the bike, or even walking around I tend to roll the bottom of my shorts up so that they are above my knees; it looks a little odd, but it is comfortable and keeps me much cooler. I wanted to find a pair of shorts that I didn't have to roll up, and I figured in Europe I could totally do that. I kept finding man-pris which are even worse. I started to consider finding a pair of pants and cutting them into shorts, but what ended up happening is that I found a few pair of pants that I really liked... as pants. So I bought them for a meager 2.50 Euro each and kept looking for my shorts. Dennis kept making me try them on. There aren't really any dressing rooms. So when we would ask they would point to the back of their vans, or behind the vans. I actually had a “Dressing Room” that was about a 1 ½' wide space between a dirty van and some kind of holly bush.. try taking off a pair of shorts and trying on a pair of pants while keeping them out of the dirt, not leaning against the prickly leaves or the dirty van, and avoiding being seen... I'm no good at it.. I felt like I was walking a tight rope. However, it resulted in a slick pair of European white pants that make me feel like I should be wearing a huge pair of sunglasses sitting on a Ducati. I eventually found a pair of shorts that I actually really like. They were more expensive than the pants, but they are a little shorter than normal, and aren't bulky like cargo shorts. Now I can stay cool and maintain a good temperature!

How do I capture the Glory of God?
I have been reading a book that Rena Anderson recommended to me. It was actually a free book that was mailed to me called 'Revolution in World Missions”, by K.P. Yohannan. It talks about getting back to the real purpose of missions. He criticizes the way that many churches today participate in missions,
        “When we allow a mission activity to focus only on the physical needs of man without the correct 
    spiritual balance, we are participating in a program that ultimately will fail. However this does not mean that 
    we must not be involved in compassion-type ministries that reach out to the poor, needy, and hurting 
    people all around us. 
        ...When Jesus came he not only fed the people's souls with the truths of heaven and Him as the Bread of 
    Life, but he filled their stomachs with fish and bread and wine as well.
        He opened not only the eyes of peoples hearts to see the truth, but also their physical eyes, restoring 
    their sight to see the world around them.
        He strengthened the faith of the weak, while strengthening the legs of the lame. 
    ...It was not one or the other – it was both, and for the glory of God.”
That makes me feel good because I see our mission teams doing that.

No comments: