Monday, August 17, 2009

Best place on earth.

August 10, 2009

I got to shoot some testimonies of some of the kids today. It is really hard just to watch and hear them talk not even knowing what they are saying. Bill told me a few of the things that they were saying, two of the three that we filmed were to be sacrificed… makes me want to punch the family… We had lunch and dinner with Mummy Sara’s home today. That was pretty neat. Back to beans and posho. If you don’t know what that is, it is Maize (corn) that they mash into a paste, and it becomes firm. Then they put beans and whatever else on it. Yesterday we got meat because the children get meat on Sundays. Steven and I were in the Mission house eating with Bill when they served up the lunch. There was the beef! And there was something that looked like a piece of carpet sitting in there with it…?! I was like “What the heck is that Bill?”
“It is the meat of a cow.”
“No, I mean the carpet next to it…”
“Oh, that is the intestine.”
All of the sudden the meat didn’t seem so great anymore. There was a really gamey smell to the meat that all came clear. For the rest of the day I could smell it on all the children’s breath. Awesome! I have to say, I didn’t even try it. Bill sure gobbled it up though. They didn’t mind us not wanting it at all.

Oh, here are a few rules to sitting for supper that bill told us about... and yes, they are true:
1. You have to sit without holding yourself up or they hit your elbow and it bends and you fall over. And you can’t bend over. They sit on the floor, so not bracing yourself was a little difficult for me.
2. You can’t have your legs out in front of you crossed like I love to do.
3. Only the father gets to sit in a chair.
4. Only the father is served his meal with the sauce and matoke or posho separated. All the children get it mixed together.

We just found those kinda funny.

So when we went to the Ridar to update the Blog last, there was a concert going on. ‘The Eagles’ is their name. Not The Eagles that immediately come to mind, but they were pretty good. It was pretty neat how they do their concerts. The place was packed. We actually came a little earlier in the day and went swimming, then went to buy some dishes and cups for eating. When we got back to the hotel, they wouldn’t let us come back in without paying. It was a little different Uganda crowd than we are used to... Steven and I don’t think we have ever heard anyone talk so fast in Luganda before. We ended up getting in after the security guard argued to the concert guys for a good 5 minutes or so. There were people coming up to the performers mid song, and they would give money. Some would dance with the singer, others would just walk off. Bill loves to dance, so we gave him 500 shillings to go up there so he could do his thing on stage... it was rad.

Last night, we ate dinner at Mummy Imerida’s house. I’m not telling any names, but Tiffany G’s sponsored child was not allowed any tea because she would wet the bed if she took tea at night... It was really nice; we had dinner then played Uno for about 45 minutes. They took a regular deck of cards and turned it into an Uno deck. They pick a few different cards, and designate them as the skip, and reverse, and wilds… draw two… it looks like chaos, but its pretty fun….and they pretty much all cheat.

I came back inside our house here to get some things for fixing some light bulbs and switches, and I was shocked to see like 5 girls in Bill’s bed… Bill wasn’t in his bed, but there was a ton of girls just passed out in our room. Made me laugh. Steven was reading, and they were coloring. Steven fell asleep, then they all passed out after he did.

So, not only is there no seat in the bathroom, they definitely don’t have light. At night, it is pitch black in there. I was just in there, Steven and I were power dumping together… you just have to get in there and hope that you are standing over the hole. You don’t want to feel around with your foot and actually have the misfortune of finding it, so you just squat and hope… well, I totally missed, and dropped one on the floor…. Disgusting, I know... I had to come back with my head lamp and take care of it.

Right now, Steven is in his bed, and Zion and Bill are sitting here interpreting the testimonies that we have on tape. I think I am going to type it out, so that in the not so rare case that we lose the notebook, I will have a backup.


August 13, 2009
We are going to Kampala today. Robert is coming at 10:00 or 10:30… Its 10:45 right now. I think we are going to maybe see a movie, eat at Nando’s (a burger Joint), then hit up the store before we come back. We have a few things that we need to buy.

We saw the biggest frog today. Some of the girls were using a stick to hit it over into a hole near the place where the bathrooms drain into. I had to run to take a picture of it real quick. Was thinking I should put a coin down next to it so you could see how big it was, but I didn’t have any, so I just took the picture.

The other night we also saw one of the biggest cockroaches on the floor. Once again… the biggest I have ever seen. This wasn’t a macro setting or anything, but there is some good detail in the picture.

We saw Harry Potter 6 at the Cinaplex theatre in Kampala. They had some delicious popcorn. It was like chili tomato or something like that. I loved it.

The last couple days have been all rain. It’s good for the area, but you have a hard time not falling on your butt when you walk around. It’s pretty nasty.

We made it back to the Ridar, we wanted to bring some of the children here to have dinner with us, so I have Maureen, Joan, Florence, and Deizy here crowded around the computer watching me type. We watched the Tribal show here at the Ridar, Maureen and Joan went swimming. They had so much fun swimming back and forth in the pool. I took some fun shots. They ate popcorn, and drank Mirinda Sodas. Now we are in the restaurant. We ordered our food and drinks; we got seven cheeseburgers and one fish and chips. And three Mirinda Fruities, two Orange Fantas, one Sprite, and to Cokes. We are all ready for our supper here so I thought I’d post some things to the internet real fast. Too bad I forgot my prepaid internet slip back at the village, so I don’t even get to post. We have to ride some boda-bodas back tomorrow morning to get the money that Mark left behind to pay Felix, so we will just post then.


August 17, 2009

Well Last night was a lot of fun. The girls had a good time. I talked to Richard earlier in the day to arrange a bus, I forgot to notify Robert the day before for the bus, so we had to get another. There were 8 of us. We were planning on riding a bus back to the village, and a walk to the Ridar. So we had our fun, then they called the bus to come to the Hotel… Well it was a car. So the 8 of us packed into the car. 2 in the front seat, and 6 in the back… it was actually more fun that way. =) Cosmas couldn’t come to the hotel last night, so we had to walk back here this morning. We are just hanging out here in the bar, drinking some delicious sodas, and getting the internet time in. Then we’ll head back and do a little more hanging out with the kids. Coming into town always gives us a good excuse to hit up the store, so I’m sure that well do it on our way back.

On the way to the Hotel today, there was a ton of people all crowded around something. We didn’t know what it was, but we were curious. There was a horse and a camel. They were giving rides!!! So we checked it out. It was rad.

One more thing; I know that we promised to give you a list of things that we shouldn’t take for granted back home, but we got a little sidetracked, not to mention bored. Just consider everything to be a luxury.

No comments: